Traveling? You've got coverage

three friends laughing

Traveling and find you need health care? WellFirst Health members are covered for urgent and emergency care worldwide. Regardless of where you travel, you don’t need to take health care coverage worries with you on vacation. We have you covered.

Your coverage: urgent or emergency care

You do not need a referral or prior authorization for urgent or emergency services — no matter where you travel:

  • WellFirst Health covers urgent and emergency services while you are outside of our service area (subject to member policy copays, coinsurance, deductibles and maximum allowable fees).
  • Out-of-network services are from doctors, hospitals and other health care professionals that have not contracted with your plan. 
  • Depending on the health care professional, the service could cost you more or not be paid for at all by your plan, which means you will be charged the full amount. Charging you this extra amount is called balance billing.

Care received by an out-of-network provider is covered under these circumstances: 

  • Emergency Services received from an out-of-network provider if the member cannot reach an in-network provider.
  • All follow-up care should be done by a plan provider. If you are out of the area and unable to see a plan provider, call your primary care provider for a referral to an out-of-network provider. These services require our approval.

  • If you receive out-of-network urgent care services, you are covered by your plan for charges up to the maximum allowable fee. If there is a difference between the maximum allowable fee and what the out-of-network provider bills, you may have to pay the difference. 
  • Call our Customer Care Center you have questions about the maximum allowable fee

See more information about Surprise balance billing and the No Surprises Act.

Need reimbursement?

In most cases, claims are submitted directly to WellFirst Health by the providers or clinics. On occasion, if you’re traveling out of the area or have a college-age dependent, for example, it may be necessary for you to submit a claim for reimbursement. When submitting the claim, be sure to follow these guidelines:

  • Send an itemized bill from the provider of service. If services were received outside of the U.S., you will need to submit the original bill along with an itemized bill that has been translated into English and indicate the appropriate currency exchange rate at the time the services were received.
  • Send the bill within 60 days after the services are received to: WellFirst Health, Attn: Claims Department, P.O. Box 56099, Madison, WI 53705.

If you have another insurance company that is the primary payer, you will need to send the EOB to WellFirst Health or your health care provider.

If you have questions, call our Customer Care Center at 866-514-4194 (TTY: 711) or at the number on the back of your ID card.